Black Bean & Butternut Squash Skillet Feast: pre-cook prep
For those who prefer to do all prep before starting cooking
So you want to get all the chopping, slicing, dicing, squeezing and grating out of the way before you get to cooking? We hear ya — have at it! First, a few notes as to quantities - your preferences may differ from ours!
We have found these quantities to provide 2 servings with ample leftovers.
* The original recipe calls for somewhat smaller quantities of these ingredients that add to spice. (The Wife is very anti-spicy but we do like garlic!) You decide how spicy you want the dish to be. Maybe just go with our quantities your first time out—but less garlic is fine.
1) Prepare the squash
Microwave the 3/4 lb squash for about 30-45 seconds. Let cool for a minute or so until it is comfortable to hande.
Peel (I use a vegetable peeler)
Trim the top and bottom 1/4” or so
Seed it and cut into 1/2” cubes
2) Finely chop 1 small onion
3) Finely chop 4 cloves garlic *
4) Rinse 1/2 cup quinoa in a fine mesh sieve for about 1 minute then set aside over a bowl to drain
5) Drain and rinse the black beans and set aside over a bowl to drain
6) Measure the spices. You can combine the spices (and the garlic) as they are added to the pan together
1 tbsp chili powder *
1 tbsp ground cumin *
1/2 tbsp dried oregano *
7) Measure out 5 oz vegetable stock
8) Toast the pepitas in a small fry pan over medium low heat. Cook for 5 mins or so, stirring frequently until the seeds start to brown. They may also “pop” occasionally. Remove them from the pan as soon as they are done and place on the table in a small bowl
8) Wash, dry and chop the 1/4 cup cilantro, less if one or more diners are cilantrophobes. Place in a small bowl on the table
9) Crumble, cube, grate or shred the 1/4 cup cheese. Place on the table in a small bowl